Horrorvacui000

Horrorvacui000

Whitney, My Love

Whitney, My Love - Judith McNaught Everyone ranted about the rape scene so I was prepared to hate this one, but... sorry, I didn't. I don't agree with the rape, but unlike a lot of authors, the rape isn't glorified as romantic. It's used in the context of something a man at the time might have done and felt was his right after everything he'd gone through. Was he in the right? NO! I can't condone it at all. However, at that time, although people would have been appalled, their appall would have been more for the fact that she was an innocent more than the force. I can't fault the way McNaught used the scene when so many other writers would have the girl terrified, but secretly enjoying it and making it seem like it was okay because of that. She doesn't make it 100% disgusting like she should, but at least McNaught wrote it in a way that the guy was disgusted with his own actions and that he didn't try to lie to himself later and say it was okay to do. The guy actually realized what an idiot he is and stops himself. Too late, but that's a rarity in literature. So, while I didn't love that part, I don't hold a grudge against the author that some of you do.