Horrorvacui000

Horrorvacui000

Cinderella Screwed Me Over

Cinderella Screwed Me Over - Cindi Madsen

Normally I hate books where the main character is so ruined by past experiences that she shuts good people out of her life. However, this book works. You don't feel like you're reading a story written by an author bitter over a break-up. You feel like you're reading a story by someone trying to make a point. Fairy tales are wonderful, but we need to be realistic about them. True happiness with another person requires a great deal of effort. You can't bibbity bobbity boo your way into a perfect fairy tale life.

The universe can align and you can find your dream man, but both parties have to be invested in one another. At some point you'll disagree and that's okay. As long as you both try to understand the other. Also, sometimes you're going to have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince. Learn from those mistakes, but don't shut yourself down because of them.

The book mixes good life lessons with humor, romance, and some great friendships. I've had people talk about the misconceptions fairy tales leave us with, but they all focus on how women don't need men to be happy. We're all Xena warrior princesses and guys are useless. This story is great because it shows that you can be a strong independent woman. Or, you can be a strong independent woman with a great supportive man by your side. Madsen does a wonderful job of juxtaposing examples of healthy relationships with ones you should run screaming from.